Thursday, October 25, 2007

Awakenings: VistaBox

So, yesterday, not only did I end up getting my Vista powered HP to well, come alive, I learned that Vista (so far) isn't the crackpot OS that it's made out to be. I found myself getting lost in the realm of Windows. I was more productive in the course of 4 hours last night with Vista than I was the entire first week I started with XP.

From 1999 to June of last year, I had been living with Windows 98 on an IBM machine, with my condolences going out to Steve Jobs for my actions. I then jumped right into the new land of the Windows eXPerience. So much for that. It was a Gateway. When will people learn. Make something perfect or dont make it at all. To quote one of my favorite education packed PS2 games, "if you can't take the heat, get out of the nuclear reactor."

Fuck 'em. I went on ebay and picked up a G4 Apple iBook. I've yet to have any problems with my year and a half old used laptop, yet a brand new Gateway fries the motherboard and takes the processor down with it. Yeah, I know, computers suck, and blah, blah, blah... Whatev's home slice.

I get this HP. It has Vistard. Ok. I can live with that. If you don't hold the Windows and E keys, you shouldn't have any problems. Oh, and AIM put a color change feature in so that you can blend it's windows in with the Vista black and blue theme. Another feature I liked from AIM, is that it locks to the side of the screen - and it blocks out Yahoo Widgets, I mean "Gadgets" very nicely.

It's good stuff once it actually starts up. I have one gripe though, and I send this with sweaty fat ass love to Mr Billy Gates.

The next time you tackle a new operating system, try to copy OS X a little better. You missed a few things.

No comments: